Thursday 1 May 2008

Gruesome Grey Mullet

Although this picture looks a bit gruesome, like a fish spewing it's lemony guts, it is in fact a stuffed Grey mullet.Right now my culinary challenge is to expand my fishy horizons, there are so many fantastic looking fish out there that I have never tried So when I saw this Grey Mullet, even though I had never cooked or eaten one before I decided to buy it.
I was however assuming there would be plenty of information about it on the internet, as it turns out there isn't!
So I did what I do with a lot of fish, stuffed it with sliced lemon, parsley onion and butter and roasted it in the oven wrapped in foil.
It tasted great, I think this fish is highly underrated, it's a bit like Sea Bass and Silver Bream, oily and mild in flavour, well worth trying if you get the chance.

While I was looking at the fish stall I saw they were selling Catfish and a strange looking fish called a Garfish. If anyone knows what to do with them I'd love to know!

2 comments:

Jasmin said...

We have gar in Australia - a favourite fish! It's quite delicate in flavour so just grill it or coat in flour and pan-fry, add some fresh lemon juice and cracked pepper and viola! Yum, yum. You can also crumb or batter them, but that's not so health conscious :)

Sam said...

That's great I'll give it a go next time I see them