Tuesday 13 May 2008

Friday Thai-day, Thai Green Chicken Curry

Last Friday I finally got around to using a jar of Thai green curry paste that I've had in my cupboard for at least a year! I trawled the Internet for a recipe but found so many variations that in the end I just went my own way. My version is really very simple and absolutely delicious (good because I have enough paste for about ten more!) I don't know how authentically Thai this is but i'll be making it again and soon.
Mine was a chicken curry although I think it would be good with prawns as well.

I served this with Jasmine rice, it was the first time I'd tried it and I'm so glad I did, it's slightly sticky and just right with this kind of food.

Roughly this is how to make it
  • First fry a finely chopped onion and a couple of cloves of garlic until just softened but not brown.
  • Then add a chopped sweet red pepper.
  • followed by diced chicken, I prefer thighs but breast is fine, I allow 1/2pound per person.
  • Stir in a good dollop of Thai green curry paste. (sorry I can't be more precise, it really depends how hot you want it)
  • When everything is cooking nicely add a tin of coconut milk stir and simmer for about 20-30 mins.
  • Towards the end of cooking time add baby corn, sugar snap peas and fresh coriander, season with Thai fish sauce to taste. (this takes the place of salt)
  • Serve on Jasmine rice with fresh coriander and a wedge of lime.

2 comments:

Christine said...

That sounds really good and simple. I've made many curries, but so far not with green curry paste yet. I like addition of lime at the end, very good taste!

Hopie said...

Look delicious! I love green curries, although I'm one of those people who's genetics won't allow me to get near coriander leaves without making faces.