Wednesday 18 March 2009

St Patrick's day with Miele

Yesterday I had a very early start, and when I say early I mean early, 4:45am. Now I'm not accustomed to getting up at that time of day -as far as I'm concerned it's a time no one should have to see- but I had a train to catch, I was going to Didcot to meet up with four other food bloggers for a day of Irish inspired St Patrick's day cooking, courtesy of Miele.

We were going to Miele's experience centre, an amazing place where potential customers can get hands on with Miele appliances to test them for themselves. As we walked in it was clear who the food bloggers were, the first thing we all noticed was the heavenly smell of pastries baking!
After a warm welcome we were served drinks. A perfect double espresso for me - just what I needed to wake me up before we headed upstairs to the kitchen, and into the very capable hands of Elspeth, the Miele home economist.
Picture taken from miele.co.uk
Working in four groups we prepared an Irish feast, and what a feast it was. There was far too much good food to list it all here but some of the highlights were a beef and Guinness casserole, roast gammon, salmon kedgeree and goats' cheese and tomato tarts. I was working with Joanna from Joanna's food, together we prepared,
  • Roast chicken with lemon and thyme
  • Irish soda bread
  • stir fried cabbage
  • Quiche with caramelised red onions and Cashel blue cheese
The quiche was a exceptionally good, the onions were sweet, caramelised and perfectly cooked while the Cashel Blue was mild and creamy, surprisingly didn't have that strong overpowering in your face flavour that blue cheese can have. It was delicious!I was really impressed with all the Miele kitchen appliances we tried, but there were two that particularly stood out. The first being the combination microwave/conventional oven which could roast a whole raw chicken in an amazing 35 minutes whilst keeping the skin crisp and golden. The other was an oven that heats from the base and uses a fan, removing the need to blind bake pastry.We ended the day with a tour around the centre where I was thrilled to discover Miele used to make bikes, very appropriate I thought for The Cycling Cook! Unfortunately I couldn't ride it as it was dangling from the ceiling but it was still nice to see it there. We were shown countless kitchen appliances everyone one of them ingenious and innovative. From a dishwasher that automatically opens when it's finished to let the steam out to an oven the plays a welcoming jingle when you turn it on, everything here amazed me.The journey home was a long one, I fell asleep on the train and almost missed my stop, but that's another story...

My thanks go to everyone at Miele and Steph from 1000 Heads for a great day.

The bloggers who were there were:

Joy of Almanzos Belly
Alex of Just cook it
Joanna of Joannas food
Alexandra of The Princess and the Recipe

Cooking in the Miele kitchens
Stir fried cabbage with garlic and pine nutsPreparing onions for the quicheIrish soda breadVegetables waiting to be cooked on the charcoal grillGoats cheese and tomato tartsSalmon kedgereeLunch!

14 comments:

James said...

Wow - now that's St. Patrick's Day in style!

Love those combination ovens. Feels like you're cooking in the future. I keep eyeing them up at shows..... one day.

Joie de vivre said...

What a fun day! Great food, great kitchens, great company, the works!

Anne said...

Sounds like a great day out and lovely looking food, wasn't able to get time off work unfortunately for this :(

Amanda said...

Wow--that looks like it was a lot of fun! Great photos, too--the food looks delicious!

Joie de vivre said...

You changed your header image! Did you do it yourself or did you hire someone? I'm in the market for a blog re-design.

Sam said...

James: I would love a combination oven too, they're amazing!

Joie de vivre: It was really fun, I wish I could do it again!

Anne:It's a shame you couldn't come, they said their might be more events soon though so maybe next time:)

Amanda: I have a new camera, still getting used to it at the moment but I'm really pleased with the results.

Joie de vivre: I hope you like it!

I thought it was a bout time for a re-design. I did it myself in photoshop, the template is from http://www.blogcrowds.com/.

It's quite straightforward to do and there are plenty of guides if you google it

Hopie said...

That quiche sounds absolutely delicious and all the food looks great. Now I'm hungry! Glad you had a good time. I like your new header, by the way.

Maggie said...

What a fabulous opportunity. You can't beat Miele.

Nic said...

I couldn't make it either, but what a wonderful day by the looks of it!
Love the way you had to make your own lunch, lol!

Pam said...

What a feast and it sounds like it was a fun day - cooking with a bunch of foodies is the best.

Joy said...

All the food looks so good - if only we'd have taken the leftovers home! The pictures from your new camera look great.

Alicia Foodycat said...

What a spread! I like your blog's new look too.

The Caked Crusader said...

oooh - that looks a great kitchen. The food looks tempting too!

Katie said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. All the food sounds delicious. Never knew they used to make bikes too!