Sunday 22 March 2009

Baked onions with Camembert and thyme

Onions are one of the most useful and versatile of all vegetables, they form the base of so many recipes and are an essential ingredient in most kitchens. What you might not have realised is that onions are really good as a vegetable in their own right. When baked onions become soft and tender, they release their natural sweetness and are transformed into something that's just plain delicious!For this dish I roasted onions with white wine and thyme until they were incredibly soft almost melting in texture. The finishing touch -and what made these really good- was a piece of Camembert cheese which I stuffed inside each onion and left until it was oozy and melting. Trust me when I say this was really good!Baked onions would make a perfect side dish to go with roast pork, chicken or anything else really!Recipe: (serves 4)

Ingredients:
  • 12 small onions
  • White wine, 1 glass
  • Dried thyme or fresh if you have it
  • Sea salt
  • Olive oil
  • Camembert cheese chopped into cubes (You could use any other cheese that melts easily)
Method:
  • Peel the onions, trim the roots but lave the base intact and cut in quarters almost to the bottom but not right through.
  • Pack the onions into a baking dish -it should be a tight fit- Pour over the white wine, sprinkle with the thyme and sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
  • Cover with tin foil and bake at around gas 4/350f/180c for 60-90 minutes, until the onions are very soft and tender
  • Finally push a piece of Camembert inside each onion and return to the oven for a minute until the cheese has melted.
  • Serve.

20 comments:

James said...

Delicious. My gran always used to do these with roast lamb - normally when the the warmer weather was making them sprout in the shed after they'd been wintering.

Anne said...

They sound and look absolutely delicious, I have been wanted and forgetting to bake onions for ages and these would be perfect!

Amanda said...

Oh, gorgeous, gorgeous! I adore cooked onions, so these are right up my alley.

This also reminds me that years ago (in the mid-90s) I used to make stuffed onions--cut out the centers to leave an exterior shell and filled with a veggie-breadcrumb stuffing then baked... mmm, I can taste 'em now.

kat said...

Wow that sounds incredibly good

Hopie said...

Mmmm, that looks so good! Onions make almost anything better and it's good to see them getting the spotlight :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey this is a great dish idea!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic--I'm a convert (although I was ripe for converting--I love onions)!

gluten free pammy said...

oh yum this looks yummy!

Nic said...

I love baked onions and these are lovely. I'll have to try them with Camembert.

Abitofafoodie said...

These look and sound sublime Sam. I adore onions in any form - great sidedish alongside a roast!

Karen said...

These look delicious! We eat lots of onions - in everything!

Anonymous said...

I rarely cook anything without onions, but had never ever had a dish with onions as center stage! this looks outrageously delicious! but how do you deal with the onion-breath? hahahah!

Anonymous said...

Delicious. My husband is also a big fan of eating onions all on their own, they are so fragrant and quite sweet.

Joie de vivre said...

I think you've blown my mind with this dish. So, to serve, you would just scoop up an onion? I can think of so many things this would pair well with.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Sam this is amazing! Did you have them as a side-dish?

Maggie said...

This would be a wonderful side dish, and looks perfect.

The Caked Crusader said...

Naughty, naughty boy! I am salivating at the thought of this dish. My printer is already whirring into action so I can make it ASAP!

Anonymous said...

Oh my God, that looks amazing.

Sam said...

foodycat: Yes, I served it as a side dish. It was a perfect match with roast pork

Momgateway said...

Gotta try this