Using an oven proof pan I first prepared a sauce made from onions, red pepper, tomatoes, garlic and basil, I buried some big juicy chicken breasts in the sauce making sure they were well smothered then baked them until perfectly cooked, a good handful of grated Parmesan finished the dish perfectly.
Chicken with tomato basil and red pepper sauce:
- A large white onion roughly chopped
- A large red pepper chopped into dice
- Olive oil
- 2-3 Cloves of garlic crushed and chopped
- A 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- A large bunch of fresh basil (substitute dried)
- 3-4 Large chicken breasts
- A large handful of grated parmesan
- In an oven proof pan soften the onion and pepper in the olive oil
- Add the garlic and cook for a minute longer
- Add the tin of tomatoes to the pan along with the basil and bring to a gentle simmer
- Bury the chicken breasts in the sauce making sure they are well covered, this will stop them drying out
- Bake the chicken for around half an hour in a medium oven, halfway through cooking scatter over the parmesan.
- Serve with pasta potatoes or rice.