Tuesday 5 January 2010

Jordans Country Crisp tropical pavlova

Just before Christmas I was sent two boxes of Jordans Country Crisp to try, thanks to the hecticness that is Christmas it's taken until now to finally get around to trying them! For those of you that don't know Country Crisp is a mixture of crunchy oaty clusters that come mixed with a variety of delicious additions such as chocolate or strawberries.I've actually tried Country Crisp lots of times before, like a lot of people it's one of my favourite cereals and something I've grown up with. What I didn't know was that there is a Country Crisp Appreciation Society and that there was more to Country Crisp than pouring milk over it for breakfast, you can cook with it too!I was sent a whole page of recipe ideas to try and then found even more on their website, there are brownies, scones, muffins and loads more, the recipe I most liked the sound of was the meringue layer cake with cream and tropical fruit.

The original recipe called for layers of meringue baked on a bed of Country Crisp stacked up with whipped cream and tropical fruit. I borrowed the idea to make a Country Crisp pavlova with tropical fruit and passion fruit cream. The meringue base is made to a basic meringue recipe (egg whites, sugar) with a little of my home-made vanilla extract for flavour, the twist is that I spooned the meringue on top of a layer of chocolate Country Crisp before baking which gave it a fantastic crunchy texture and a lot more flavour than just plain meringue.The topping is made from cream whipped with the juice of two passion fruits then topped with chopped mango, kiwi fruit and more passion fruit. The finished pavlova was the perfect dessert for New Years Day, it wasn't to heavy which was a relief to everyone after all the heavy Christmas food, plus it brought a bit of sunshine into my house so we could all forget it was -3c outside!

12 comments:

Rachel Marston said...

Hi
I am delighted you got your packs of Country Crisp, and have managed to make something which looks very tasty with it. Do you mind if we upload this onto the CCAS recipe section?
Thanks again
Rachel

Alicia Foodycat said...

I find Country Crisp way too sweet to eat as a breakfast cereal - but using it in a dessert like this is a really great idea. Your pavlova looks delicious!

Sam said...

Rachel: Of course you can! Thanks for sending me the Country Crisp!

Foodycat: I know what you mean but I have a bit of a sweet tooth! If you don't like it for breakfast though then you'd probably like it in a dessert like this, it's supposed to be sweet afterall!

Sylvie said...

Sam, great looking pavlova. Happy New Year!

pigpigscorner said...

WOW! I didn't know about CCAS! Love Jordans country crisp, I usually eat it with just milk or as a topping for porridge.

♥peachkins♥ said...

that looks soooo good.

Nic said...

Nice flavours!
Happy New Year Sam, and all the best for 2010!

Katie said...

Ohh this looks yummy and so inventive! I've baked country crisp into a cake before but never thought of adding it to pavlova.

The Caked Crusader said...

I bet it added some lovely texture. What a nice idea!

Maggie said...

Great idea Sam! Came across the CCAS on another blog but prior to that had never heard of it.
The pavolva is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Love the bright colors - looks like a perfect dessert to chase away the winter blues (or grays, as the case may be).

Katie said...

Hi Sam,
I ahve given you an award. Please visit my blog for details