Most of my bargain haul went to the freezer to be cooked another day but I kept some whole trout aside, I wanted those for a simple stuffed trout dish. Like all fish dishes this one is quick to cook and simple to prepare, the only tricky part is filleting the fish but even that was a lot easier than I anticipated.Trout with lemon, basil and olives.
Ingredients (serves four):
- 4 Whole trout, filleted (8 fillets).
- Sea salt and pepper.
- A fresh unwaxed lemon.
- 2 Tablespoons chopped capers.
- A good handful of chopped black olives.
- A large bunch of fresh basil.
- Olive oil
- You will also need some oven-proof string.
- Lay half four of the trout fillets out on a board and season well.
- In a large grate the zest of the lemon and add the capers olives and tear in the basil. Mix everything together.
- lay the lemon, basil, olive mixture over each trout fillet.
- Place the remaining fillets on top of the others so the filling is in the middle. A kind of trout sandwich.
- Tie each 'sandwich up with the string to make little parcels.
- That's it! bake in the oven on a medium heat for about 25-30 minutes.