The recipe is adapted from this one from Riverford Organics which I originally got from a recipe card in our organic fruit and vegetable box.
Shakshouka recipe (Serves: 3-4)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Onions, Finely chopped
- 4 Cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 Yellow pepper, chopped into small-ish chunks
- 1 Red pepper, chopped into small-ish chunks
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper
- ½ tsp Each cumin and coriander
- 1 Fresh red chilli pepper, Chopped (optional)
- 400g/1 tin Chopped tomatoes
- Sea salt
- 3-4 eggs (1 per person)
- First preheat your oven to gas 4/180c
- While the oven is warming up you can make your sauce. First, I a large frying pan over a medium heat fry your onions until they are softened. (about 5 minutes)
- Add your garlic and chopped peppers to the pan, give everything a good stir and fry for a couple of minutes more.
- Next add your black pepper spices and chilli (if using) to the pan and mix well.
- Pour in the tomatoes, season well with salt and leave to simmer for a couple of minutes - until everything is soft and well cooked.
- That's the sauce made, now pour the sauce into three of four oven proof dishes (if you'd prefer use one large dish)
- Make an indentation in the sauce mixture and break an egg into each one, try not to break the yolk!
- Bake for around ten minutes until the white is firm but the yolk is still soft, it may take less time depending on your oven so keep an eye on them!
- Serve with bread for dipping and enjoy!