I found this recipe over at Hopies Kitchen and was intrigued to find out just how good Obama's cooking is. The chili contains a couple of unexpected ingredients, turmeric, basil and red wine vinegar, I've never seen these in a chili recipe before but they didn't seem out of place in the finished dish, in fact they were a nice addition that I will use again.
I followed the recipe pretty closely the only changes being that I doubled the spices and herbs to add more flavour and I used an extra pepper. I also used black beans instead of kidney beans simply because that's what I had.
Recipe (Original from ABC News)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- Several cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1/4 teaspoon (each) of ground cumin, ground oregano, ground turmeric, and ground basil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Several tomatoes, depending on size, chopped
- 1 can red kidney beans
- Sauté onions, green pepper and garlic in olive oil until soft.
- Add ground meat and brown.
- Combine spices together into a mixture, then add to ground meat.
- Add red wine vinegar.
- Add tomatoes and let simmer, until tomatoes cook down.
- Add kidney beans and cook for a few more minutes.
- Serve over white or brown rice. Garnish with grated cheddar cheese, onions and sour cream.