Thursday 8 January 2009

Oven Baked Risotto

I don't know about you but I have a list of bookmarked "must try" recipes that seems to keep on growing. Whenever I come across an interesting recipe I bookmark the page with every intention of coming back to it and cooking it, the problem is I never do. Those recipes it seems are doomed to languish in my bookmarks folder for all time. So when I found an interesting recipe for making risotto in the oven I knew I had to make it right away or condemn it to the same fate.

I've written about risottos before, they are one of my favourite meals, something I make time and time again. The only downside is that stirring the pot for what seems like hours can become a bit tedious. When I found this recipe over at Anne's Kitchen for a risotto that is baked in the oven I just had to try it. No stirring, brilliant!
I really couldn't tell the difference between this and the conventional version, what's important is that it tasted great!

You can find Anne's recipe here, I changed it slightly by adding peppers and using chopped tomatoes, this recipe is very adaptable so use whatever you like, anything goes!

15 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I bookmarked this on Annes site! Will have to try soon

Joie de vivre said...

That is beautiful. I'm glad it turned out well!

Karen said...

Yes, this sounds better than standing over the stove for so long! I love the addition of peppers and tomatoes that you added. I'll have to give this a try!

Anne said...

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did Sam, love the idea of adding peppers to it :)

Anonymous said...

Yum. I made risotto last night, but I did it the old-fashioned way(i.e. the sucker way). :) What an interesting idea!

Alicia Foodycat said...

It looks lovely, Sam!

Hopie said...

Can never have too many versions of risotto, I say. Looks like it turned out well!

Pam said...

I've always been scared to make risotto but this recipe looks like it's perfect for me. Excellent post Sam.

Unknown said...

this is a great tip... thanks for sharing... :)

Nic said...

I saw that as well and thought it was yummy. Yours looks delicious too!

gastroanthropologist said...

I'm not sure if I ever believed the "risotto rules" like having heated liquid, and the stirring, and those who insist you must stir in one direction! Looks yummy and simple to make...going to try it for a weeknight dinner this week!

The Caked Crusader said...

oven baked risotto - now that sounds like a great idea!
I know just what you mean about bookmarking things with good intentions!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I know what you mean, Sam. My list of bookmarked recipes now runs into the hundreds...

Oven-cooked risotto is great - means you can actually go and put your feet up while it's cooking and be sociable, rather than standing over a hot stove the whole time!

pigpigscorner said...

This is something new. No stirring makes it so much easier =D

Dazy said...

This is a new one for me! Looks really yummy too..gearing up with recipes for the cold winter days
hopefully ahead!