Sunday 21 December 2008

Mulled wine

With Christmas fast approaching things are getting pretty busy around here, the food still needs to be bought, the presents wrapped and the house decorated, add to that two days of overtime at work and there is very little time to spend cooking!

I did however find time to whip up a pan of mulled wine, a Christmas essential and one of my favourite drinks. Made from red wine, spices and fruits simmered and served hot, this warming drink is perfect for winter.There are endless variations to this, the recipe below is the basic version to which you could add apples, pears, berries or even fruit liqueur, to give it a bit of a kick try adding a good glug of brandy.

Mulled wine recipe

Ingredients:
  • 1 75cl bottle of red wine.
  • 1 orange, half sliced half studded with 4 or 5 cloves.
  • 1 lemon sliced.
  • 1 cinnamon stick snapped in two.
  • 1 tsp ground/powdered ginger.
  • A wine glass of water.
  • 3 tbsp white sugar or honey.
  • As much brandy as you like (optional).
Method:
  • Place all the ingredients into a large pan with a lid.
  • Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
  • Place the lid on the pan and leave on a very low light to simmer (don't boil) for at least 20 minutes.
  • Serve.

12 comments:

Abitofafoodie said...

I have to confess that I'm one of the very few people who doesn't like mulled wine. I love the idea of it though and that picture almost makes me want to have another go! Happy Christmas!

Maggie said...

Christmas in a glass - perfect.
Happy Christmas!

Amanda said...

Delicious.

A question--can you make the mulled wine and then keep it around for when you want it/have guests? Or should it be made and finished the same day?

(I'm the only wine-drinker, few of my guests drink and I can't do a whole bottle by myself! :))

Anonymous said...

I've never made mulled wine, maybe this year?

Best wishes to you and yours for a great Christmas, Sam.

Sam said...

Antonia: You might like it if you made your own, that way you can customise it to your taste. Happy Christmas anyway!

Margaret: It wouldn't be Christmas without it!

Amanda: you can keep it for quite a long time. You could leave it overnight in the pan, just put the lid on and it will be fine, otherwise pour it back into the wine bottle and keep it in the fridge to reheat when you want it. The alcohol is a preservative so it has a long shelf life.

Kadeeae: Give it a try, it's worth it just for the amazing smell! Happy Christmas to you too!

Andrea said...

Nothing is as cheek flushing as mulled wine! I turn a bright rosy whenever I have it. I love it more than regular wine, definitely

The Caked Crusader said...

It's such a beautiful colour - it almost looks like jelly! Love the way you've served it too

Pam said...

This looks delicious Sam. I've never had mulled wine but I know I would LOVE it. I may just make this on Christmas eve.

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays!!! :)

Joie de vivre said...

This sounds lovely. I've yet to make it or even try it, but I definitely need to!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love mulled wine, but this winter I have been all about the mulled cider! A couple of years ago I made a strong stock syrup infused with spices and brandy, and then just added 1 part of that to 3 parts wine or cider in the microwave with a slice of orange every time I felt that urge. The syrup kept in a sterilised wine bottle in the fridge for a week.

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy. Given the sub-freezing temperatures we've been experiencing of late, mulled wine is the perfect after-dinner drink. Or before. :)