Monday 15 December 2008

Lemon Posset

It may sound like a small furry animal but Posset is in fact an old English dessert, made from just three ingredients, lemons, cream and sugar. This could be the easiest dessert in the world.Although simple the end result is heavenly, a silky smooth, creamy, tangy, pot of lemony goodness. A perfect end to a meal and elegant enough to serve on special occasions too, it's tanginess make it a perfect palate cleanser after a rich meal. Or as I'm planning, served in shot glasses between courses.

I served mine with shortbread biscuits to add a bit of texture, you could make your own or be lazy like me and buy some!

Recipe
The acidity of the lemon juice is what makes the cream set so no eggs are required, I was surprised at just how well and how quickly the mixture firmed up after adding the juice.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Pint/300ml double/heavy cream (don't be tempted to use single/light cream, it will not work here!)
  • Juice and zest of 1 lemon
  • 75g/2 1/2oz Sugar
Method:
  • Pour the cream and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer for 3 minutes.
  • Take the cream off the heat and add the lemon zest and juice, whisk well.
  • Pour the mixture into small dishes or ramekins and leave to cool in the fridge.
  • Serve with shortbread biscuits.

20 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

I saw Tamsin Day Lewis make this years ago. Looks really good

Katie said...

How easy is that! I have some cream in, ill have to try!

Sam said...

Beth: It is really really good and so easy too.

Katie: I can't think of any dessert that tastes so good for so little effort.

I'd love o here what you think if you do make it.

Christine said...

Couldn't be any easier! Great idea to serve it between courses.

vandana rajesh said...

Hi first time here, a lovely blog u have here. A really delicious treat.

Joanna said...

this is a neat dessert. i love really simple foods that don't take a while to make. the less ingredients the better!!

i don't think my family has ever eaten a different course meal. it's always all on one plate.

The Caked Crusader said...

Sometimes you can't beat simplicity, and this is such a dish that proves it. Looks lovely - the presentation is great!

Amanda said...

You really hit it on this one, Sam. My husband LOVES anything lemony, so I'll be trying this soon. Thanks for an easy and sure-to-please recipe!

Joanna said...

Sam what a great moment to remind us about something so delicious and simple to make .. I used to make this years ago (I LOVE lemons, better than chocolate), but haven't thought of it for a couple of decades

Love your photo
Joanna

Anne said...

Mmm sounds lovely, anything lemony wins my vote! :)

Nic said...

Easy peasy and really delish!

Karen said...

Cream, lemon & sugar? Who knew?? This sounds just delicious and I've never heard of it!

Anonymous said...

My husband is a total sucker for lemon desserts - I'm definitely going to have to give this one a try!

Mike of Mike's Table said...

That is surprisingly simple--and here I was expecting it to be some involved custard. It looks fantastic!

Hopie said...

Wow, can't go wrong with those three ingredients. Looks delicious!

Pam said...

Oh Sam, this recipe is calling my name. I can't wait to try it!

Amanda said...

I made this yesterday (with a few minor tweaks for personalization) and it is FANTASTIC! My husband went crazy for it, too--and that's quite a recommendation.

Alicia Foodycat said...

One of the best desserts in the world! It is magic. I am trying to remember whose recipe I use... Jill Dupleix's I think.

Andrea said...

I love all of this great traditional British cooking you're doing lately, I'm learning so much! I've been reading a Nigella cookbook will all of her funny British words ;-) You can be a male Nigella!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm a warm posset! Love the look of this. Have got 20 people over for new year so think this will work perfectly as a easy cheap pudding. Any other cheap party foods from the cycling cook.

Happy new year mate!