I served mine with shortbread biscuits to add a bit of texture, you could make your own or be lazy like me and buy some!
The acidity of the lemon juice is what makes the cream set so no eggs are required, I was surprised at just how well and how quickly the mixture firmed up after adding the juice.
- 1/2 Pint/300ml double/heavy cream (don't be tempted to use single/light cream, it will not work here!)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 75g/2 1/2oz Sugar
- Pour the cream and sugar into a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer for 3 minutes.
- Take the cream off the heat and add the lemon zest and juice, whisk well.
- Pour the mixture into small dishes or ramekins and leave to cool in the fridge.
- Serve with shortbread biscuits.