Thursday 31 July 2008

Salmon with lentls, anchovies and capers

I got the idea for this recipe from a old issue of GoodFood magazine, it looked interesting and gave me the opportunity to use a box of Puy lentils that I bought a long time ago thinking they might come in useful. Well they finally did, at long last!
The idea is a simple one, lentils are cooked with garlic and sage which forms the 'bed' on which a fillet of roast salmon lies, this was dressed with anchovies, capers, parsley and lemon. I used roast tomatoes as a garnish as suggested in the recipe. I think it looks really classy and the tomatoes add a nice splash of colour where it could have looked quite dull.
Unfortunately it didn't really deliver on flavour which was surprising considering the anchovies and capers, I also thought the portions were way too small even after I had bulked it out with peas.
I think I will try this idea again but it need to have more flavour added and I've not quite worked out how yet...


Recipe here

3 comments:

Christine said...

It's interesting that it wasn't as flavorful as you expected. Perhaps it needed more salt? It does look really good, though.

Anonymous said...

Usually when I cook puy lentils I'll cook in in a mixture of chicken (or vegetable) stock and white wine. Having said that, I've never tried this particular dish.

Sam said...

Christina: I think you might be right although I don't usually under season things, I like salty food.

Ros: I did use stock but I like the idea of adding wine, I'll remember that one for next time.