Tuesday 11 November 2008

Brown sugar mincemeat cake

Yesterday was very very wet, according to the local paper we have already had more rainfall than we're supposed to get for the whole month! Definitely not a day for doing anything outside. Instead I got creative in the kitchen and came up with this mincemeat cake.
Despite it's name mincemeat contains no meat (although it used to) but is a delicious combination of dried fruits, spices, sugar, suet, apples and brandy. It's most common use is the traditional Christmas mince pie, but it also makes delicious crumbles and cakes.As we're approaching Christmas a mincemeat cake seemed appropriate, I also had all the ingredients on hand which meant no getting wet going to the shops! I used dark muscovado sugar for this recipe as the flavour is fantastic but any brown sugar will work.Ingredients:

3oz/75g Butter
3oz/75g Muscovado or other brown sugar
2 Eggs
4oz/100g Self raising flour
4oz/100g Mincemeat
4oz/100g Sultanas, raisins or other dried fruit
Sugar crystals to sprinkle on top (optional)

Method:

Preheat the oven to gas 4/180c/350f and grease an 8 inch circular cake tin.

In a large bowl cream the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.

Next beat in the eggs.

Fold in the flour until well mixed.
Add the mincemeat and dried fruit to the mixture and gently mix.

Pour the mixture into the greased tin, sprinkle with sugar crystals (if using) and bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until a skewer comes out clean.

20 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

That looks dense and wonderful. Perfect with a cup of tea on a rainy day. Is mincemeat something that you can buy? Last year I canned green tomato mincemeat, but I've never seen if for sale. I wonder if I could use that in your beautiful cake. I'll let you know when I make it!

Nic said...

That's one good looking cake Sam!

Pam said...

Perefect for a rainy day. I love cakes like this. Great job baking Sam!

Beth (jamandcream) said...

This looks so good. I love mincemeat. Just made a load for christmas but Im going to have to use some soon for this

Hopie said...

Mmm, looks like a very moist cake, perfect snack for a rainy afternoon!

Sam said...

Joie de vivre: Mincemeat is widely available in the UK, not sure about the US though. There are loads of recipes online for it and it's very easy so maybe you could make some.

Green tomato mincemeat sounds interesting, what's in that?

nicisme, Pam and Hopie: Thanks!

Beth: I'd love to hear how you get on if you do make it.

Unknown said...

mmm... looks so moist... :)

Heather said...

Ooh, what a nice breakfast that'd make. I've got the coffee on!

Abitofafoodie said...

What a divine-looking cake! This reminds me of a cake I once made with apples and mincemeat - it was delicious. I'll have to give this one a try I think. Perfect for a rainy day.

Andrea said...

I just saw a little jar of very expensive mincemeat in a very expensive little shop. I resisted, but might have to go back now that I have this great recipe to change my mind! Don't get too wet on your bike in the rain!

Gemma said...

That looks and sounds delicious Sam. I need to make a few jars of mincemeat for Christmas.

Amanda said...

That is one enticing cake. I've heard of mincemeat pie, but not cake, so this is a new idea for me. Looks like something I'd enjoy!

Hopie said...

I posted your tag :-)

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks much better than any cake with so few ingredients has a right to! Yum! Mince pies are one of my favourite foods in the world - and fruitcake is up there too, so I would love this!

Anonymous said...

My favorite thing about mincemeat treats is that they are almost always accompanied by brandy butter. Mmmm... brandy butter.

Maggie said...

Such a great cake, shame that it is mostly made at this time of the year. Looks fabulous.

Anonymous said...

Hi I've just made this cake it looks lovely can't wait for it to cool down ,I was wondering if I could double the ingredients to make it bigger ?Midge

Sam said...

Yes, you absolutely can double the ingredients to make it bigger. I hope you enjoy it!

tibbs said...

Would you think that this recipe culd be baked in a Bundt pan? If so, would the baking time be somewhat shorter?

Sam said...

Hi Tibbs. I see no reason why that shouldn 't work. As you say though the cooking time may well be shorter. I would just keep a close eye on it while it's baking.