Wednesday 16 December 2009

Christmas gift ideas

A couple of weeks ago Nick from vouchercodes.co.uk challenged me to find a really great gift for foodies. The challenge was broad, I could choose anything at all from coffee machines to waffle irons, pots and pans to food hampers, I even considered a hot dog rotisserie although I came to my senses and quickly abandoned that idea! So what did I choose?

Eventually after much thought and trawling the web I settled on a genuine Italian Imperia pasta machine. You might be thinking it's an odd choice, you quite likely have a pasta machine long forgotten at the back of a cupboard probably next to the bread machine and the smoothie maker. I decided to go for a pasta machine quite simply because I love pasta, it's proabaly my favourite food of all and I like the idea of being able to make my own. It also allows me to be creative, I have plans to try flavoured pasta such as tomato or spinach or herbs.For the first test run of the pasta machine I went for the simple option, I wanted the pasta to be the star of the dish and not so much the sauce, although of course it still had to be delicious! So my old friend and standby pasta carbonara it was.

The pasta machine can make four different types of pasta with the attachment I have (you can buy different attachments for ravioli, fusili etc), lasagna, papardelle, tagliatelle and linguine, I chose tagliatelle this time around.Making the pasta was much easier than I expected it to be, once you've made the dough (just flour, eggs and salt) you simply pass it through the rollers progressively rolling it thinner and thinner until it is as thin as you want it the put it through the cutters and out comes beautiful fresh pasta!
Pasta carbonara, find the recipe here.

I was really very impressed with the Imperia pasta machine and think it would make a great gift for food lovers, especially if they love Italian food like I do! What do you think of my choice? What would your perfect foodie Christmas gift be?

Of course no pasta dish would be complete without wine! vouchercodes.co.uk are offering £15 off a £50 spend here. My thanks go to vouchercodes.co.uk for setting the challenge and providing the pasta machine. Thanks!

15 comments:

Nic said...

That was a good choice Sam! I love my pasta machine but I don't get it out nearly enough.

♥peachkins♥ said...

nothing beats homemade pasta..I should try that sometime..

James said...

Mine's still going strong 18 years later. Should look at some more attachments after seeing this.

So many flavours of pasta you can make - lemon, pesto, tomato, beetroot, spinach. Keep meaning to try the chocolate one with anglaise sauce (dessert).

My ultimate foodie gift? One of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_pot Finally got it off the kitchen shelf & found out how good it is. Real coffee. It starts the day so much better.

The Caked Crusader said...

Lovely looking dish!

Hope you've entered my vouchercodes competition!

Karen said...

Yes, this would be my choice, too! Your pasta dish looks so amazing!

Pam said...

The carbonara looks delicious - I want a pasta maker.

Katie said...

My grandmother has lent me her pasta machine and you've reminded me I have even used it yet!

Great choice for a gadget, you can't beat fresh pasta. I've always fancied experimenting with an ice cream machine - the ones that freeze the icecream in the bowl without having to put it in the freezer.

pigpigscorner said...

That's a nice choice! I have one too and love it. Homemade noodles are the best!

Maggie said...

Great 'gift' idea. I have always thought about getting a pasta machine, but was never somehow sure.

Rachel said...

Homemade pasta is so much fun to make, though getting a load of flour all over the place does require a bit of clean up. Luckily the tender pasta makes up for it.

You asked about whether the Anik See book "A Taste for Adventure" was a great read and worth purchasing, and I really loved it and thought you might be particularly interested since the author traveled by bicycle throughout her journeys. If you can't find the book at a library, perhaps your local bookshop could find one for you. Hope you can join us at Cook the Books!

Claire said...

Great idea. I don't get my pasta machine out as often as I should.

Kadeeae said...

Have a Merry Christmas, Sam! :-)

Primary Work at Home said...

Wow homemade pasta. I love it.

Jonny said...

Congrats on your pre-Christmas gift-to-self. There really is nothing like homemade pasta and it's rewarding and fun to make.

All the best for 2010, Sam!

John Lewis Sales said...

classic pasta home made dish is a true blessing on a Christmas eve specially when your are french