Sunday 29 November 2009

Christmas flavour ice cream

Christmas is undeniably on it's way now, it's time to put up decorations, buy presents, write cards and if you haven't already done it make the cake.

We were talking about Christmas at work last week and some gave me a idea for an ice cream recipe, she said that if you take some store bought vanilla ice cream, leave it to soften, then mix it with a jar of mincemeat it makes a really delicious Christmassy treat.I really liked the idea and I'm sure it's delicious with store bought ice cream but I wanted to make the whole thing myself, so that's what I did! As well as making the ice cream myself I also added a hefty glug of brandy for good measure, not only does it make it even more Christmassy it helps stop the ice cream from freezing rock solid too.

When I served this I was told it tastes like Christmas cake which is exactly what I was aiming for, mission accomplished!

Recipe:

Ingredients:

For the custard ice cream base:
  • 3/4 pint whole milk
  • vanilla extract
  • Two large egg yolks
  • 1 tbsp cornflour/cornstarch
  • 30-40g caster sugar
You will also need:
  • Half a pint of double/heavy cream whipped to soft peaks
  • 450g micemeat (recipe here or buy some)
  • Brandy
Method:
  • To make the custard pour the milk and vanilla into a saucepan and gently bring to a simmer, don't let it boil.
  • Meanwhile beat the egg yolks, sugar and cornflour/cornstarch together in a large mixing bowl.
  • Once the milk is up to heat pour a little into the egg yolk mixture and quickly beat it in.
  • Pour everything back into the saucepan and cook over a very gentle heat stirring constantly until it coats the back of a spoon. Don't leave leave it unattended for even a minute or it will burn, curdle or both!
  • Once made cool the custard completely before continuing.
  • Once the custard is cool fold it into the whipped cream, add the mincemeat and brandy to taste. Be careful not to add too much brandy or your ice cream will never freeze! 4-5 tablespoons should be enough.
  • Churn the mix in an ice cream machine or put into a tub in the freezer and beat every hour until frozen.

17 comments:

discoteche napoli said...

good
http://discotechenapoli.com/

Karen said...

I love Christmas time just so I can eat mincemeat! And what could be better than to have it mixed in ice cream? This looks delicious!

♥peachkins♥ said...

hmmnn... this is interesting...

Unknown said...

Lovely! I have been looking for the perfect "Frozen Christmas pudding" and I think this will be it! Perfect for an Australian Christmas!

The Caked Crusader said...

ooh - very imaginative! Love the presentation with a sprig of holly

James said...

Looks great - a good alternative for those who don't 'do' christmas pudding. What about brandy sauce ripple?

pigpigscorner said...

wow this is such a great idea!

Anne said...

Sam that looks divine, cant imagine anything nicer than christmas flavoured! I don't have an ice cream maker so pleased it can be done still without :)

Rachel said...

I thought you might be interested in joining our Cook the Books foodie book club this time around, as we are reading a travel memoir by Anik See called "A Taste for Adventure: A Culinary Odyssey Around the World". Our Cook the Books group reads a different foodie book every other month, then blogs about the book and cooks up something inspired by our reading. See traveled by bicycle through various countries, so I thought you might have a special interest in this book pick. For more information google up our Cook the Books blog and see what you think. Hope you join us!

Camille said...

That sounds absolutely fantastic! Can you still serve mulled wine with ice cream? :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sam!!
Looks delicious! Props for the patience of making your own ice cream! YUMO!
Hope you had a happy thanksgiving! :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've had it made with the fruit mixed through bought icecream, but your way of doing it from scratch looks so much better! Yum!

Jo said...

Having eaten Sam's ice cream, I can confirm that it tastes exactly like licking out the bowl after making Christmas cake. Delicious! More please Samuel!

Maggie said...

Yummy and all before Christmas too!

Hopie said...

What a good idea. I love ice cream. I bet it's even BETTER than Christmas cake. :-)

gastroanthropologist said...

mincemeat is pretty new to me, but I think it would go amazing with a bit of brandy and ice cream. never to cold for ice cream!

putra said...

thanks for share your recipe, i like it