Recipe: Makes four individual portions.
For the salted caramel layer:
45g Light brown sugar
40ml Double cream
A large pinch of sea salt
For the mousse:
100g Good dark chocolate
3 Eggs, seperated.
40g Granulated or castor sugar
Whipped cream to finish
To make the caramel:
- Mix the sugar with a tablespoon of water and heat in a small pan over a gentle heat until it has melted and become liquid.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, followed by the cream and the salt.
- Pour into the base of four ramekins or glasses.
To make the mousse:
- Break up the chocolate and place it in a heat proof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water.
- Once the chocolate has melted take it of the heat, allow it to cool slightly the beat in the egg yolks making sure they are well incorporated.
- Meanwhile in a seperate bowl whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks, add the sugar and continue to whisk for another minute.
- Fold a spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate using a metal spoon, be careful not to knock the air out of the mixture.
- Fold the rest of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture and pour the mousse over the caramel in the ramekins or glasses.
- Leave the mousses to set in the fridge for at least 2 hours before topping with whipped cream.