Rock cakes are very similar to scones, they have a crisp crust and light crumbly texture and are an excellent recipe to have in your repertoire. Great for teaching children to cook or for when you want to make cakes and don't have the time (or can't be bothered) for anything elaborate.
I like loads of fruit in mine so I put some extra in, I also sprinkled sugar crystals over the top before baking for some extra crunch.
- 225 g (8 oz) Self Raising Flour
- pinch of salt
- 100 g (4 oz) margarine
- 75 g (3 oz) mixed dried fruit
- 25 g (1 oz) mixed peel
- 50 g (2 oz) caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- milk to mix
- Heat oven to 200ºC, 400ºF, Gas Mark 6. Grease two baking trays.
- Mix the flour and salt, rub in the margarine.
- Stir in the dried fruit, mixed peel and sugar.
- Mix to a stiff dough with egg and milk.
- Place in rough heaps on the baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes.