Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Homemade honey and walnut granola with Activia pouring yogurt

I've had a really busy few weeks with not much time to cook any real food, I've been grabbing bits and pieces here an there as I and when I can. I'm sure you know the feeling.

Well, In my current state of having no time to do anything I was extremely happy to be sent some of Activia's new pouring yogurt to try, they even sent me a recipe for some delicious homemade granola to go with it.Pouring yogurt is a relatively new concept in the UK, I think I've seen it once before but it disappeared from the shelves pretty quickly. The taste is as good as the best yogurt you can buy, it's smooth and creamy and has that yogurty tang that I love. What makes this yogurt special is that it has a thinner consistency which makes it perfect for pouring over you breakfast cereal or it would be great for making smoothies or pouring over summer fruits for a snack.

The new Activia yogurt comes in three flavours, plain, vanilla and strawberry all of which are really tasty. My personal favourite is the plain, it sounds boring but what I really like about it is that it's so versatile, I can add all manner of lovely things like nuts fruit or honey.The granola recipe they sent me used maple syrup which I didn't have so I modified it to use honey instead, I also added some walnuts and seeds. Even if you can't get the yogurt you should definitely try this, it takes 5 minutes to put together, tastes great and makes a perfect breakfast. I've been eating mine with pouring yogurt and honey...

Homemade honey, walnut and seeds granola

Ingredients:
  • 200ml honey
  • 45g butter
  • 300g rolled oats (not the quick cook kind)
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 75g each of walnut peices, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds (or use whatever nuts and seeds you like)
  • 1 or 2 handfuls of sultanas or raisins
Method:
  • Preheat your oven to gas mark 4 and line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
  • In a small pan melt the butter and the honey together, meanwhile in a large bowl mix the oats, salt and nuts and seeds.
  • Once the butter and honey mixture has melted pour it into the bowl with the oats and mix everything well.
  • Pour the mix out onto the baking tray and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. You may need to turn the mixture once or twice during cooking to ensure it cooks evenly.
  • Once cooked leave to cool then mix in the sultanas.
  • Store in an airtight container and enjoy!

8 comments:

Katie said...

The granola looks delicious! I've had some of their natural yoghurt (it was on offer in Tesco) and i agree its great for breakfast

Anne said...

I really like the sound of the granola Sam but I really didn't like the yoghurt! Tried the strawberry and vanilla versions and wouldn't buy again, tasted 'funny' to me for some reason, which is a shame as I liked the convenience of pouring over my muesli! Each to their own as they say! ;-)

Christina said...

I like the sound of pourable yogurt! I sometimes thin yogurt out with milk when I use it for cereals and stuff. The granola looks great!

Jonny said...

I remember that used to be calling drinking yoghurt, when I was a nipper. Nice score on being sent some freebies, Sam! Combining Activia with granola must have had a beneficial effect on your, ahem, digestive tract?!

Camille said...

Plain yogurt is my favorite, too. :) And I love homemade granola - it's hard to go back to store bought after you've made it!

Hopie said...

I know exactly what you mean about not having time to cook real meals. I've been the same lately. I love homemade granola though and that recipe might just get me back in the kitchen ;-)

Ben the cook said...

Hmm interesting. I don't think they sell them down here in Mexico yet, but I'll keep an eye for them.

girls who like to gorge said...

This LOOKS fab, perfect pick-me-up for the dark january mornings! x